October is National Eat Better, Eat Together Month!
National Eat Better, Eat Together Month encourages families to gather for mealtimes. When families enjoy their main meals together there tends to be more balanced food choices. Also, what better way to spend time together and share each other’s daily adventures? With the busy lifestyles of today’s families, it may seem impossible to eat together for every meal. Make it a goal to eat at least one meal a day as a family. Sometimes going raw or even a no-bake night not only makes clean up easy, but it’s healthier, too. Fresh fruits and vegetables, peanut butter and fruit dips, cheeses and whole grain crackers are just as filling as an entire meal and provide the necessary nutrients as a home-cooked meal. While you won’t want to do this every night, an occasional evening will give everyone a no-rush relaxed night.
Sweet Potato Jack-O-Lanterns
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• Oil of choice (healthiest option = avocado oil)
• Sea salt
• Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Peel the sweet potatoes with a vegetable peeler. (You can leave the skins on if you’d like, just wash thoroughly before slicing)
• Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds.
• Using a sharp paring knife, carefully cut out jack-lantern faces on each sweet potato.
• Place the jack-o-lantern sweet potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
• Use your hands to spread the oil evenly on the tops and bottoms of the sweet potatoes.
• Sprinkle with a little salt and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
For more information click here